Strings and Collaborative Piano Program
July 21st — July 28th
The Strings and Collaborative Piano program was created to provide quality, intensive, and nurturing pre-professional training for string and piano students ages 13-19.
During the course of a week, all young artists receive private lessons, chamber music coaching, and music theory instruction from faculty and staff with active performing and teaching careers. The festival orchestra performs two concerts featuring a variety of literature for strings. Each string student is assigned to an age-appropriate chamber music ensemble. These chamber groups receive intensive coaching to assist emerging professionals in rehearsing, exploring, and preparing the work for performance on the final concert. Additionally, all students will have the opportunity to perform a selection from their solo repertoire during camp recitals.
The Collaborative Piano division focuses on developing the collaborative and performance skills of aspiring pianists. Piano students will have the opportunity to play in the orchestra, in a chamber ensemble, perform a solo work, and will accompany several other campers in their solo performances. All students will also receive extensive coaching on their collaborative repertoire and will participate in workshops discussing topics such as art song, reading lead sheets, accompanying instrumentalists, proper rehearsal techniques, and more.
Courses offered in 2019
1. Strings students will receive 1 lesson and 1 coaching session with accompanist, while piano students will receive 2 private lessons and 4 group collaborative piano coaching sessions
2. Each student will play in the festival orchestra (Piano students will accompany several peer performances on a recital)
3. Each student will be a member of a performing chamber group
4. Each student will be in an age-appropriate music theory class
5. Each student will attend a music business/careers in music workshop.
6. Each student will have the opportunity to perform as a soloist on a recital
7. Each student will attend and/or participate in a master class
8. Each student will attend an audition workshop
9. Each student will attend a Music in College Q&A
10. Each student will attend a wellness for orchestra musicians workshop